Make Originals and Proofs (Lightroom Method)
Published on July 12, 2017
Initial Download (Lightroom Method)
Download your files as soon as you can after your session (same day)
- Open Lightroom and go to the import screen
- Choose the backup drive. Make second copy to…
- Change file name to the file naming convention (SESSION#_Sequence Number)
- Template > Custom Name > Edit. Input Custom txt_SEQUENCE
- IMPORTANT: If you are downloading a second or later day… make sure the sequence numbers do not overlap. If your file numbers for day 1 were xxx_001 through xxx_1088, your file numbers for day 2 must begin with xxx_1089 or higher! Hint: Start with xxx_2001 for day 2 and xxx_4001 for day 3…
- When you import the files into our online ordering software, it is important that they be in increasing numerical order.
- Add Keywords. These are words that will help you locate photos in the future.
- Add Sub-folder Raw
- Choose the primary folder designation (use folder naming convention SESSION#-School Name- Type Session)
- Make sure photos are importing to the correct folder.
- Make sure that all your files were downloaded (check to see that the last image is on your drive after the download)
- Download Raw files to your Primary Internal (RAID) Drive – location 1
- Also Save Raw files to an external back-up drive – location 2
IMPORTANT: Your images should be on at least 2 drives before formatting the card for re-use.
Select Images to show customers
- Use the Grid mode in full screen (G for grid, Ctrl(or Cmd for Mac)+Shift+F to make it full screen.
- Mark images with the following
- 2* Barcodes (during upload, you will use these to sort images into sub-folders)
- 3* images you want to show in proof set
- 4* images you need to edit in Photoshop before posting
- Here are some hints on how to select images
- Choose filter by “Unflagged Images” (use attribute filter and choose middle flag)
- Use P to Pick (or Flag) unwanted images
- When you “pick” an image (quick key P), it will flag an image and it will dissapear from the screen.
- Use this to get rid of the images you don’t want to see.
- Use the number 2 to mark bar-codes as 2 stars
- Use the number 3 to mark images you want to show in the proof set
- Hint…. if you have Caps Lock on, once you assign a number or a pick to an image it will advance to the next image
- Once you have all your images starred, Crop them to the most appropriate crop
- Start with cropping barcodes to 9×25 (filter by equal to 2)
- Crop all landscape images to 5×7 (filter by metadata > aspect ratio > landscape)
- Crop all portrait images to 8×10 (filter by metadata > aspect ratio > portrait)
- Select All (2 Aspect Ratio) and complete cropping
- HINT- Press “O” for overlay to display the overlay that shows the 2×3 (same as 4×6), 5×7, 4×5 (same as 8×10, 11×14 and 16×20) ratios
- HINT- you can go back to the filters, and filter by metadata (aspect ratio) and select all the landscape images, then choose R for crop
- HINT – turn on “Auto-Sync” to make adjustments to all of the images at one time (what ever images you have highlighted will be adjusted)
- Export Originals
- Go to the Library Mode
- Select the images you want to export (Make sure you have filtered for the images that you want to export)
- Export using the “SRP Originals” preset
- This will make a full resolution size jpg image in a sub-folder called “Originals”
- Export the same files using the “SRP Web” preset
- This will make a web size jpg (1200px on the largest side at 72 dpi) in a sub-folder called “Web”
Here is another video that shows a culling method in Lightroom.